GUILIN, May 21, 2019– The “Belt and Road” initiative proposed by China in 2013 is a concept of cooperation and development fostering mutual growth and shared prosperity. Today it is a manifestation of China’s neighborhood diplomacy fostering friendship, economic and tourism development. It also provides new concepts, new models, and new space for the growth of 65 countries along the Belt and Road. Tourism is an important pillar in the economy among many of these countries. As peace, political stability, and tourism go hand in hand, the “One Belt • One Road • One Tourism” International Conference will not only promote tourism but also reinforce peace and economic development in these countries.
The Conference will provide an interactive platform for academics and industry professionals in the tourism field to share their latest research, analyze industry trends and build connections in relation to the “Belt and Road” initiative for which tourism is expected to play a significant role.
The Conference is co-organized by Guilin Tourism University (GLTU) and School of Hotel and Tourism Management (SHTM) at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, in Guilin, China, on 13-15 October 2019.
The collaborating institutions for the Conference include Guilin Tourism University, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Silk Road International University of Tourism, Uzbekistan and Palembang Tourism Polytechnic, Indonesia.
Leading academic and industry leaders in hospitality and tourism have agreed to speak in the keynote sessions, and we welcome academics in hospitality and tourism, industry professionals and government officials to participate in and submit papers to the Conference.
Theme and Topics
The theme of the Conference is “Development, Marketing, Sustainability” with an emphasis on “Impactful Education”. The Conference welcomes submission of papers based on the following topics and others related to the One Belt One Road initiative:
- Capacity building for One Belt and One Road Tourism
- Destination management
- Destination marketing
- Digital transformation in tourism
- Event management
- Human capital development for tourism industry
- Megatrends in hospitality and tourism
- Public private partnership in tourism
- Religious tourism and pilgrimage
- Smart tourism
- Sports tourism
- Wellness tourism
- Tourism and geopolitics
- Tourists and visitors: their needs and motivations
- Tourism education
- Tourism planning and development
- Tourism marketing and management
- Tourism sustainability
- And any other topics of relevance to the conference
The Conference is co-organized by:
- Guilin Tourism University
- School of Hotel and Tourism Management, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
The Conference is hosted by:
- The Belt and Road International School at GLTU
- Guangxi Academy of Tourism Professionals
The collaborating institutions for the Conference include:
- Guilin Tourism University (China)
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region)
- Silk Road International University of Tourism (Uzbekistan)
- Palembang Tourism Polytechnic (Indonesia)
- Prof Kaye Chon, Dean and Chair Professor, School of Hotel and Tourism Management, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, and 2011 UNWTO Ulysses Prize Laureate
- Prof David Airey, Emeritus Professor, University of Surrey, United Kingdom, and 2006 UNWTO Ulysses Prize Laureate
… and others.
Individuals who would like to submit a paper to be presented at the Conference should submit an abstract of the proposed paper for review. The abstract should be typed in English or Chinese, 12 points, Times New Roman, and double-spaced on one A4 page, and attached with a separate cover page indicating the topic of the paper, author’s name, affiliation, contact number and email address. The abstract and cover page should be sent to Dr Tony Tse ([email protected]) by email attachment, with “Submission of paper to OBOROT Conference” in the email subject line.
Deadline for submission of abstract is 15 July 2019. Authors will be informed of the decision (whether the abstract is accepted, rejected, or accepted with revision) by 30 July. Authors are required to submit final abstract or full paper by 30 August in order to have the abstract or full paper included in the Conference proceedings. Authors may choose not to submit abstract or full paper for the Conference proceedings. Once the submission is accepted, at least one of the authors must register for and present the paper at the Conference. Authors will have 15 minutes to present their abstract or full paper during the Conference. Simultaneous interpretation will be provided during the Conference.
Registration will take place on 13 October, with the Conference held on 14 October whole day and 15 October morning. There will be plenary sessions, break-out sessions, and display section for authors and institutions to present their research findings.
Contacts for Enquiries
The Belt and Road International School, Guilin Tourism University: 26 Liangfeng Road, Yanshan District, Guilin, Guangxi, China, 541006.
School of Hotel and Tourism Management, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University: 17 Science Museum Road, TST East, Kowloon, Hong Kong.