Organised by the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Human Capital Development Committee, the Symposium is generously hosted by the Department of Tourism, Philippines.
“PATA brings together people from all over the world from different backgrounds and perspectives, but our uniting goal is one and the same: to build upon the tourism industry’s collective strengths and bring about actionable change for the better. Hence, the PATA Youth Symposium provides the perfect opportunity for the next generation of young tourism professionals to come together and learn from industry leaders who set out to not just improve their bottom line, but also contribute towards a sustainable and responsible future,” said PATA CEO Dr. Mario Hardy. “We are extremely grateful to the Philippine Department of Tourism for their enthusiastic support for the development of tomorrow’s tourism leaders and for hosting this event.”
Ms. Bernadette Romulo-Puyat, Secretary, Philippine Department of Tourism, said, “The PATA Youth Symposium 2019 serves as a venue in bridging the gaps between the tourism industry and educational institutions and organisations. This will also be a platform to engage the youth on the growing opportunities and trends in the industry as well as to encourage them to become globally competitive individuals recognising the importance of Sustainable Tourism in the continuous progress of the Tourism Industry.”
Confirmed speakers at the Youth Symposium include Director Shahlimar Hofer Tamano, Regional Director, Department of Tourism – Region VII, Philippine Department of Tourism; Dr. Mario Hardy; Dr Markus Schuckert, Chairman, Human Capital Development Committee, PATA and Associate Professor, School of Hotel & Tourism Mgmt, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University; Julieane “Aya” M. Fernandez, Founder, Project Lily Philippines; Maja Pak, Managing Director, Slovenia Tourism Board; Dr Robin Yap, Chairman Emeritus, The Travel Corporation, Singapore; JC Wong, Young Tourism Professional Ambassador, PATA, and Carma Chan, Content Creator & Editor, PATA.
In addition, the BUFFET for Youth Challenge champions, Team Food Saviors (Brahmanand Reddy, Nilesh Timmancharla, Amit Deshwal, and Mounika Bhomireddy), representing the National Institute for Tourism and Hospitality Management in India, will present the case study of their winning initiative addressing plate waste on campus.
The symposium includes presentations on ‘Progress with a Purpose’, ‘The Future of Sustainable Destination Branding’, ‘Purposeful Innovation and Disruptive Change’, ‘PATA DNA (Development & Networking Academy): Empowering Your Future Development’ and ‘Progressing Alongside Community’.
The event also features an interactive roundtable discussion addressing the question, ‘Knowing that tourism and sustainability are intrinsically linked, what can academia, governments, and tourism organisations do to further empower young tourism professionals to navigate issues around environmental, cultural, and social sustainability?’.
Past PATA Youth Symposium
In recent years, PATA organised successful educational events at various institutions including:
- UCSI University Sarawak Campus, Kuching, Malaysia (April 2010)
- Institute for Tourism Studies (IFT), Macao SAR (September 2010)
- Beijing International Studies University, BISU, Beijing, China (April 2011)
- Taylor’s University, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (April 2012)
- The Lyceum of the Philippines University, Manila, Philippines (September 2012)
- Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand (April 2013)
- Chengdu Polytechnic, Chengdu, China (September 2013)
- Sun Yat-sen University, Zhuhai, China (April 2014)
- The Royal University of Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia (September 2014)
- Sichuan Tourism School, Leshan, China (April 2015)
- Christ University, Bangalore, India (September 2015)
- University of Guam, Guam (May 2016)
- President University, BSD-Serpong, Indonesia (September 2016)
- Institute for Tourism Studies (IFT), Macao SAR (September 2017)
- Gangneung-Wonju National University, Korea (ROK) (May 2018)
- Alumni Association of UiTM Students’ Representative Council (PIMPIN), Langkawi, Malaysia (September 2018)