MADRID, January 17, 2019 – Employment at World Tourism Organization (UNWTO)
Regional Support Office for Asia and the Pacific (RSOAP)
Position Title: Deputy Manager for Program and Public Relations
Office: UNWTO Regional Support Office for Asia and the Pacific
Contracting Organization: The Asia-Pacific Tourism Exchange Center
Duty Station: Nara, Japan
Deadline for Application: 11 March 2019
Approximate Start Date: The beginning of June 2019 (negotiable)
Duration: This position is open for recruitment for a period of two years and may be subject to extension.
UNWTO Regional Support Office for Asia and the Pacific (RSOAP) was established in Osaka on 26 June 1995, with the approval of the UNWTO General Assembly, in order to coordinate tourism promotion and development efforts in Asia and the Pacific. The office moved to Nara, Japan, in December 2012. UNWTO RSOAP plans and implements its activities under the supervision of UNWTO Regional Department for Asia and the Pacific (RDAP) located in Madrid, Spain.
Serve as a Deputy Manager for projects by planning, coordinating, and managing the implementation of UNWTO’s activities and research in Asia and the Pacific under the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief, the Manager of Programme and International Affairs of UNWTO RSOAP, as well as the Director of UNWTO Regional Department for Asia and the Pacific (UNWTO RDAP). The incumbent’s work will include, but is not limited, to the following activities:
- Manage research on tourism issues, this includes the development of concept notes, drafting agreements, managing consultants, coordinating the publication process, and being responsible for the quality of the final product;
- Serve as a focal point promoting communication between UNWTO Headquarters, Member States, and UNWTO Affiliate Members;
- Prepare and engage in thematic lectures and presentations domestically and abroad;
- Provide event logistics support (i.e. program development, drafting invitations, speaker research, travel arrangements, and on-site event management, among others.);
- Develop event and activity concepts and corresponding materials in line with UNWTO standards;
- Actively collaborate with other UN agencies, NGOs, and universities in the region;
- Draft, coordinate and edit articles for UNWTO Asia Pacific Newsletter with the publisher and authors;
- Represent UNWTO RSOAP at official events;
- Draft articles for the APTEC newsletter distributed in Japan;
- Select UNWTO research publications for translation and dissemination to stakeholders in Japan;
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
- An advanced university degree (Masters’ degree or equivalent) in tourism, hospitality management, business administration, communications, urban planning, sustainability, environmental studies, public policy or other related fields is desirable. A bachelor’s degree in combination with qualifying work experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- At least 2 years of work experience in a related field.
- English as a native language.
- Knowledge of Japanese is an asset.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office software.
Other Skills and Competencies:
- Knowledge and understanding of tourism and sustainable development theories, concepts, and approaches;
- Strong writing and editing skills in English;
- Strong planning and organizational skills;
- Time and project management skills;
- Excellent internal and external communicator;
- Comfort with public speaking;
- Flexibility and willingness to travel internationally;
- Ability to work harmoniously in a multi-cultural environment, and independently with minimal supervision;
- Adaptability to the way of life in the Japanese provincial city of Nara, located 40 min away from Kyoto and Osaka, and 1 hour away from Kobe by train.
Interested applicants should send by email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample* in English to Ms. Hiroko Suzuki, Manager of Programme and International Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Writing sample should be no more than 3 pages and may include an academic excerpt or a work-related piece.
Renumeration and Other Conditions:
- EUR 30,000/ year, including approximately EUR 7,500/ year which will be deducted as Tax and Social Security. These figures are subject to change by the fluctuation of currency rate.
- Working hours: Monday through Friday 9:00 am – 5:45pm.
- Vacation: 20 days/ year in addition to national holidays.
- Contract term: Initial contract term is 2 years with the possibility of 1 year extension.
Note: This is not a UN position. The Asia-Pacific Tourism Exchange Center (APTEC) is the supporting body of UNWTO RSOAP and serves as the only contracting body for this position. All hiring procedures are done independently by APTEC and they follow Japanese employment laws. APTEC is an incorporated foundation under the Act on General Incorporated Associations and General Incorporated Foundation.
There is no guarantee either that the initial contract will be renewed or that a career appointment within UNWTO will subsequently be offered.