Partner, Twenty31 Consulting
A stakeholder engagement strategist, specializing in destination development, Oliver is an expert in the design and execution of quantitative research to identify innovations in brand and sustainability strategy. During his career, Oliver has worked with over 50 national and regional tourism boards across the globe to benchmark brand positioning and advise on consumer, investment and market selection. Oliver is a recognized expert on the trends shaping the perceptions, attitudes and behaviours of the Australian, Canadian, Chinese, Indian, UK and US high-value outbound travel consumer markets. At Twenty31 he works closely with senior leadership teams to measure competitive performance and brand resonance and navigate the sustainability agenda. Oliver’s recent projects include:
- Senior project director for the Dubai Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM) to measure their brand health and competitive standing in 12 countries
- Brand strategist for the Palau Visitor Authority’s national marine reserve and sustainable tourism brand development initiative
- Senior project director for the Guam Visitors Bureau to map the business and policy case around homeporting a small-ship cruise line
- Senior advisor for the Nepal Tourism Board to identify a new global brand positioning
- Senior project director for Tourism Ireland to develop their Canada marketing strategy
- Senior project director for Tourism Australia to identify their competitive opportunities with high-value Japanese and South Korea travel consumers
Oliver was formerly a partner with international reputation and sustainability consultancy GlobeScan where he led the thought leadership practice working with numerous multinational organizations including Asian Development Bank, BBC World Service, Intel, Rio Tinto and the Walt Disney Company. He was also the co-facilitator of the world’s first major business crowd-sourcing forum, the Unilever Sustainable Living Lab, to identify practical solutions to sustainability challenges.
Oliver has served as the Associate Director of the Pacific Asia Travel Associations’ prestigious Strategic Intelligence Centre. In addition to co-managing the Centre’s work with Asia Pacific national tourism organizations, Oliver was a frequent panellist on CNBC Asia’s morning business program commenting on issues related to the sustainable growth of Asia Pacific’s travel and tourism industry. Oliver was also the lead facilitator for PATA’s inaugural CEO Challenge, the largest gathering of senior leaders in the travel and tourism industry debating CSR and sustainability issues and solutions.
Oliver started his career at Canada’s national tourism organization, Destination Canada, where he worked in progressively senior positions in planning, marketing and the Office of the President & CEO.
Oliver holds a Graduate Certificate in International Marketing from the Rotman School of Business at the University of Toronto and an undergraduate degree in Economics and International Politics from Wilfrid Laurier University. He sits on the Board of Directors of international development organization, Oxfam Canada and is a strategic advisor to the Adventure Travel and Trade Association (ATTA) and the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Foundation.