Picture: Dr Helena Lo, Director of Pousada de Mong-Há – the Educational Hotel of Institute for Tourism Studies (IFT), Macau SAR and PATA Face of the Future 2015
BANGKOK, January 21, 2016 – The Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) is now accepting submissions for PATA Face of the Future 2016. The winner will receive a round-trip economy flight with hotel accommodation to attend the Association’s Dinner and PATA Awards Presentation during the PATA Annual Summit 2016 on May 19, 2016 at Dusit Thani Guam Resort, Guam, USA. The winner will also benefit from global media exposure via PATA’s far-reaching communication channels and will be invited to join the PATA Executive Board as a non-voting member and observer. Deadline for submissions is March 4, 2016.
PATA is dedicated to human capital development across the broad spectrum of travel and tourism. Each year the Association presents this special award and prize to an exceptional ‘rising star’ in the industry. Past winners have exhibited initiative and leadership in the advancement of tourism as well as demonstrating a commitment to the sustainable development of the Asia Pacific travel industry in line with PATA’s mission.
“Human capital development is amongst one of our greatest challenges, as noted in the UN Sustainable Development Goals for 2030 to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all. The PATA Face of the Future award provides us the perfect occasion to recognise a young tourism professional making an impact in the travel and tourism industry,” said PATA CEO Mario Hardy. “If you are young travel professional who has exhibited initiative, leadership and demonstrated a commitment to the responsible development of travel and tourism in the Asia Pacific region, this is the perfect opportunity to build your career and networks through the PATA Face of the Future award.”
An individual is eligible to enter the 2016 PATA ‘Face of the Future’ Award if he or she is:
- Aged 35 and below as of March 4, 2016
- Working for a PATA member organisation (in good-standing as of March 4, 2016) or undertaking post-graduate travel and tourism studies at a PATA member educational institution
The judges will seek to identify an individual who has best:
- Exhibited initiative and leadership in the implementation of local, regional and/or international tourism initiatives (including research projects)
- Demonstrated commitment to the sustainable development of the Asia Pacific travel industry in a spirit compatible with PATA’s mission
The finalists will be judged by former PATA Face of the Future winners, external judges and members of the PATA management team.
HOW TO ENTER
- The candidate him/herself or a third-party person may submit the nomination.
- No entry form is required. Simply submit a nomination letter, along with the nominee’s full professional contact details and bio-data with photo (JPG format, 300 dpi resolution, maximum 500KB total file size), in soft copy only (DOC or PDF file; maximum three pages).
- Submit a video (up to three minutes in length) detailing the nominee’s experiences to date and aspirations for the future of the travel and tourism industry. Movie clips shot on smart phones or tablets are acceptable.
- Submit an essay (500 words max) in English outlining how travel and tourism may contribute to the achievements of the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals. Please note the judges are looking for sound ideas and will not be reviewing entries based upon the quality of the English language text.
- Please email the entry, clearly labelled ‘PATA Face of the Future 2016 Nomination’, to Parita Niemwongse at fof@PATA.org by March 4, 2016.
All entrants will be notified by March 18, 2016. For further information, please visit https://www.pata.org/face-of-the-future.
Past winners of PATA Face of the Future
2015 Dr Helena Lo, Director of Pousada de Mong-Há – the Educational Hotel of Institute for Tourism Studies (IFT), Macau SAR
2014 Ms Soulinnara Ratanavong, Teacher/Trainer at the Lao National Institute of Tourism and Hospitality (Lanith), Lao PDR
2013 Mr James Mabey, Senior Director of Development, Marco Polo Hotels, Hong Kong SAR
2012 Mr Justin Malcolm, General Manager, Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, & Chairman of the PATA Chiang Rai Chapter, Thailand
2011 Ms Tavalea Nilon, Miss Samoa 2010, Samoa
2010 Mr Toney K Thomas, Programme Director & Senior Lecturer of the School of Tourism, Events & Recreation, Taylor’s University College, Malaysia
2009 Mr Andrew Nihopara, Marketing Manager, South Pacific Tourism Organisation, Fiji
2008 Mr Kenneth Low, Director Strategy – Asia Pacific, InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), Singapore
2007 Mr Tran Trong Kien, CEO, Buffalo Tours, Vietnam
2006 Mr Shikher Prasai, Managing Director, Natraj Tours & Travels, Nepal
2005 Ms Sally Hollis, Manager, Tourism Council of Western Australia, Australia
2004 Ms Silvia Sitou, Head of the Research & Planning Department, Macau Government Tourist Office, Macau SAR
2003 Mr Vivek Sharma, Sales & Marketing Manager – Eastern USA, SITA World Tours, United States
2002 Mr Mayur (Mac) Patel, Founder, eTravelConsult.com, Australia
Note: All stated positions are as of year obtaining their award.
Manager – Communications
+66 (02) 658-2000 | communications@PATA.org | Bangkok, Thailand