BANGKOK, January 18, 2017 — The Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) is now accepting submissions for PATA Face of the Future 2017. The winner will receive complimentary round-trip economy class air ticket and two-night accommodation to attend the Association’s Dinner and Awards Presentation during the PATA Annual Summit, May 18-21, 2017 at the Jetwing Blue Hotel in Negombo, Sri Lanka. Deadline for submissions is March 17, 2017.
The winner will also be invited to join a panel discussion on ‘The Real Future of Tourism – Young Tourism Professionals’ and share their ideas with other industry leaders. The winner benefits from global media exposure via PATA’s far-reaching communication channels and will be invited to join the PATA Executive Board as a non-voting member and observer.
PATA is an organisation dedicated to human capital development across the broad spectrum of the travel and tourism industry. The primary focus of the Association’s Human Capital Development programme for 2017 is on the ‘Young Tourism Professional’ (YTP).
The Association presents the Face of the Future annual award to an exceptional ‘rising star’ in the industry. All recipients of this prestigious award have exhibited initiative and leadership in the advancement of tourism as well as demonstrating commitment to the sustainable development of the Asia Pacific travel industry in line with PATA’s mission.
“PATA has always put great emphasis on human capital development within the Asia Pacific region and our Face of the Future award provides us with the perfect opportunity to showcase a young tourism professional who is making a meaningful and effective contribution to the responsible development of the travel and tourism industry,” said PATA CEO Dr. Mario Hardy. “As the PATA Face of the Future the winner will lend a voice to young tourism professionals everywhere – not only during the panel session at the PATA Annual Summit in Sri Lanka but as a non-voting member of our Executive Board.”
An individual is eligible to enter the 2017 PATA ‘Face of the Future’ Award if he or she is:
- Aged 35 and below as of May 21, 2017
- Working for a PATA member organisation in good-standing as of May 21, 2017 or is undertaking post-graduate travel and tourism studies at a PATA member educational institution
The judges will seek to identify an individual who has best:
- Exhibited initiative and leadership in the implementation of local, regional and/or international tourism initiatives (including research projects)
- Demonstrated commitment to the sustainable development of the Asia Pacific travel industry in a spirit compatible with PATA’s mission The finalists will be judged by former PATA Face of the Future Winners, external judges and members of the PATA management team.
HOW TO ENTER
- The candidate him/herself OR a third-party person may submit the nomination.
- No entry form is required. Simply submit a nomination letter, along with the nominee’s full professional contact details and bio-data with photo (JPG format, 300 dpi resolution, maximum 500KB total file size), in soft copy only (DOC or PDF file; maximum three pages).
- Submit a video (up to three minutes in length) detailing the nominee’s experiences to date and aspirations for the future of travel and tourism. Movie clips shot on smart phones or tablets are acceptable.
- Please email the entry, clearly labelled ‘PATA Face of the Future 2017 Nomination’, to Parita Niemwongse at fof@PATA.org by March 17, 2017.
WINNER WILL RECEIVE:
- Round-trip economy air ticket and two-night accommodation to join the Association’s Dinner and PATA Awards Presentation during the PATA Annual Summit 2017 in Negombo, Sri Lanka
- Invitation to the PATA Executive Board as a non-voting member and observer
- Invitation to join a panel discussion on “The Real Future of Tourism – Young Tourism Professionals” during the PATA Annual Summit 2017
- Global media exposure
The results will be notified to all entrants by March 24, 2017. Public announcement will be made by March 30, 2017.
For further information, please visit https://www.pata.org/face-of-the-future
The PATA Annual Summit 2017, generously hosted by the Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority, brings together international thought leaders, industry shapers, and senior decision-makers who are professionally engaged with the Asia Pacific region, attracting 200-400 delegates from 30+ countries. The Summit serves both as the Association’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) and as a global tourism forum for enhancing the sustainable growth, value and quality of travel and tourism in the Asia Pacific region.
The 4-day programme consists of the association’s executive and advisory board meetings, annual general meeting, and the PATA Youth Symposium; and a one-day conference that addresses major issues relevant to the travel and tourism industry. In addition, PATA in partnership with the UNWTO will be holding a half-day PATA/UNWTO Ministerial Debate. More information about the event can be found at www.PATA.org/pas-2017.
Past winners of PATA Face of the Future
2016 Mr Danny Ho, Executive Pastry Chef, Hotel ICON, Hong Kong SAR
2015 Dr Helena Lo, Director of Pousada de Mong-Há – the Educational Hotel of Institute for Tourism Studies (IFT), Macau SAR
2014 Ms Soulinnara Ratanavong, Teacher/Trainer at the Lao National Institute of Tourism and Hospitality (Lanith), Lao PDR
2013 Mr James Mabey, Senior Director of Development, Marco Polo Hotels, Hong Kong SAR
2012 Mr Justin Malcolm, General Manager, Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, & Chairman of the PATA Chiang Rai Chapter, Thailand
2011 Ms Tavalea Nilon, Miss Samoa 2010, Samoa
2010 Mr Toney K Thomas, Programme Director & Senior Lecturer of the School of Tourism, Events & Recreation, Taylor’s University College, Malaysia
2009 Mr Andrew Nihopara, Marketing Manager, South Pacific Tourism Organisation, Fiji
2008 Mr Kenneth Low, Director Strategy – Asia Pacific, InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG), Singapore
2007 Mr Tran Trong Kien, CEO, Buffalo Tours, Vietnam
2006 Mr Shikher Prasai, Managing Director, Natraj Tours & Travels, Nepal
2005 Ms Sally Hollis, Manager, Tourism Council of Western Australia, Australia
2004 Ms Silvia Sitou, Head of the Research & Planning Department, Macau Government Tourist Office, Macau SAR
2003 Mr Vivek Sharma, Sales & Marketing Manager – Eastern USA, SITA World Tours, United States
2002 Mr Mayur (Mac) Patel, Founder, eTravelConsult.com, Australia
Note: All stated positions are as of year obtaining their award.
Founded in 1951, the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) is a not-for profit association that is internationally acclaimed for acting as a catalyst for the responsible development of travel and tourism to, from and within the Asia Pacific region. The Association provides aligned advocacy, insightful research and innovative events to its member organisations, comprising 95 government, state and city tourism bodies, 27 international airlines, airports and cruise lines, 68 educational institutions, and hundreds of travel industry companies in Asia Pacific and beyond. Thousands of travel professionals belong to the 40 local PATA chapters worldwide. The chapters organise travel industry training and business development events. Their grassroots activism underpins PATA’s membership of the Global Travel Association Coalition (GTAC), which includes ACI, CLIA, IATA, ICAO, WEF, UNWTO and the WTTC. The PATAmPOWER platform delivers unrivalled data, forecasts and insights from the PATA Strategic Intelligence Centre to members’ desktops and mobile devices anywhere in the world. PATA’s Head Office has been in Bangkok since 1998. The Association also has official offices or representation in Beijing, Sydney and London.