Da Nang, Vietnam #1 in the World and in Asia; Southeast Asian destinations dominate places to see for 2015
SINGAPORE, December 2, 2014 – TripAdvisor™, the world’s largest travel site*, today announced the winners of its Travellers’ Choice™ awards for Destinations on the Rise. The awards highlight 52 spots around the world that have seen the greatest increase in positive feedback and interest from the TripAdvisor community, year-over-year. Lists were unveiled for World, Asia, Europe, South America, South Pacific and the United States.
Southeast Asian destinations dominate the awards for places to see in 2015 with the rapidly developing Da Nang, Vietnam named top destination on the rise in Asia and the world. Other winners include Sihanoukville, Cambodia which ranks second in Asia and the world while Ao Nang, Thailand ranks third in Asia and fourth in the world.
“We are thrilled to see Da Nang ranked first in the world for the Travellers’ Choice Destination on the Rise awards. Da Nang is a land of wonder with beautiful nature and hospitality. To receive this award is a great endorsement from travellers around the world,” Mr. Tran Chi Cuong, Deputy Director, Department of Culture, Sport and Tourism of Da Nang city.
Award-winners were determined using an algorithm that primarily measured the year-over-year increase in positive TripAdvisor traveller review ratings on accommodations, restaurants, and attractions, across destinations worldwide.
“The TripAdvisor community has helped surface some unheralded destinations across the globe that are receiving rave reviews from travellers worldwide,” said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor. “From the beaches of Southeast Asia to the citadels in Europe, these award-winners offer highly-rated options for accommodation, restaurants and activities to inspire those planning their vacations for the new year.”
Travellers’ Choice Destinations on the Rise – World:
- Da Nang, Vietnam – 122 Hotels, 203 Restaurants, 74 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate1: S$66.22) Located between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, this destination is known for its tranquil beaches, culinary tours, and Buddhist sanctuaries. TripAdvisor reviewers suggest a visit to the historic Marble Mountains where the “panoramic scenery is breathtaking.” For an authentic Vietnamese meal, travellers should not miss Lam Vien Restaurant.
- Sihanoukville, Cambodia – 53 Hotels, 197 Restaurants, 61 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$128.55) Surrounded by the Bay of Thailand, Sihanoukville is a spectacular beach town that offers premier snorkelling and diving. TripAdvisor reviewers describe Ream National Park as “a true tropical forest.” After exploring, travellers should check outMartini Beach, a great place to eat and marvel at the sunset.
- Limassol, Cyprus – 60 Hotels, 337 Restaurants, 83 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$189.59) Offering sun, sand, and culture, this Mediterranean spot has something for visitors of all ages. History buffs can learn about the archaic sites at Kourion including its magnificent amphitheater and intricate mosaics. For delicious Greek fare, TripAdvisor reviewers recommend Meze Taverna Restaurant, where the food is “homemade with love.”
- Ao Nang, Thailand – 87 Hotels, 157 Restaurants, 78 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$88.30) Beloved by travellers for its world class beaches and water sports, Ao Nang in Krabi is quickly growing in popularity. One TripAdvisor reviewer described Phra Nang Beach as “beautiful, clean and pristine.” In between swimming and sun bathing, travellers are invited to dine on incredible Thai food at Tom Ma Yom, which offers succulent prawns, papaya salad, and more.
- Bodrum City, Turkey – 115 Hotels, 385 Restaurants, 101 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$166.22) Once a quiet community, Bodrum City is now one of Turkey’s most popular vacation destinations. TripAdvisor travellers write about the culturally rich attractions such as Castle of St. Peter and the Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology, which displays some spectacular ancient artefacts. For a great meal, travellers can enjoy mouth-watering kebabs and mezze atGambilya Natural Cuisine.
- Naha, Japan – 102 Hotels, 1,059 Restaurants, 82 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$109.08) Located on the southern coast of Okinawa Island, Naha is known for its historic monuments and majestic gardens. One traveller noted that Shurijo Castle has been rebuilt to give visitors a “real feel” for ancient castles. TripAdvisor reviewers also rave about the traditional Okinawan cuisine at Yunangi noting, “It’s well worth the wait.”
- Hurghada, Egypt – 182 Hotels, 229 Restaurants, 162 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$129.86) Travellers will enjoy fun in the sun at this resort town located along the Red Sea. During the day, sunbathers, snorkellers and divers can make a splash at Sharm El Naga, where one TripAdvisor reviewer describes the beach as “a gentle slope into the clear blue sea.” At night, diners can devour “the best steak in town” at Moby Dick restaurant.
- Kazan, Russia – 44 Hotels, 1,081 Restaurants, 217 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$140.25) Along the Volga River, travellers are invited to experience the culture in this city known for its rich history. Not to be missed is the Kazan Kremlin, a citadel that one TripAdvisor traveller describes as offering “a mix of Orthodox Christian and Muslim cultures.” For authentic regional cuisine, travellers can dine at Pashmir Restaurant, which boasts “an amazing riverside location.”
- Manaus, Brazil – 40 Hotels, 935 Restaurants, 141 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$120.77) A recent soccer host city, this spot offers cosmopolitan attractions in the middle of the Brazilian Amazon. A TripAdvisor reviewer recommends touring the Teatro Amazons to “get a real sense of the grandeur of the old opera.” Hungry travellers should consider dining at Banzeiro, where one reviewer describes the signature Tambagui ribs as “nothing less than an incredible.”
- Eilat, Israel – 65 Hotels, 88 Restaurants, 65 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$376.59) On the Gulf of Aqaba, Israel’s southernmost city boasts sunshine nearly every day of the year. Visitors can explore Timna National Park, which one TripAdvisor reviewer describes as “a rocky desert, with magnificent views of red and pink rocks.” Guests can subsequently cool off while snorkelling in the “clear turquoise water” at the Coral Beach Nature Reserve.
Travellers’ Choice Destinations on the Rise – Asia:
- Da Nang, Vietnam – 122 Hotels, 203 Restaurants, 74 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate1: S$66.22)
- Sihanoukville, Cambodia – 53 Hotels, 197 Restaurants, 61 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$128.55)
- Ao Nang, Thailand – 87 Hotels, 157 Restaurants, 78 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$88.30)
- Naha, Japan – 102 Hotels, 1,059 Restaurants, 82 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$109.08)
- Malé, Maldives – 38 Hotels, 89 Restaurants, 24 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$357.38) As the island capital of Maldives, Male has its own distinctive character where travellers can have a taste of true Maldivian culture before heading out to the archipelago of islands. TripAdvisor reviewers describe the Old Friday Mosque as containing “one of the most important woodcarvings and laquerwork in the country”. Hungry travellers can drop by Sala Thai Restaurantfor “one of the best restaurants in Male.”
- Baku, Azerbaijan – 92 Hotels, 51 Restaurants, 213 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$211.21) From its time as a Persian capital to its Soviet occupation, Baku, the capital city of Azerbaijan, is steeped in heritage. VisitOld City Baku to explore its “maze of little cobble-stoned streets, caravanseries, palaces, churches and mosques”, as well as the Maiden’s Tower, a UNESCO World Heritage Site which is also “one of the most noted landmarks and Azerbaijan’s most distinctive national symbol.”
- Leh, India – 51 Hotels, 53 Restaurants, 52 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$110.65) Surrounded by mountains, Leh is a picturesque city that used to be the capital of the Himalayan kingdom of Ladakh. With monasteries such as Thiksey Monastery in close proximity for travellers looking for a spiritual retreat and “peace and positivity”, the landscape of Leh also provides of numerous adventure activities.
- Kandy, Sri Lanka – 50 Hotels, 73 Restaurants, 75 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$139.30) Kandy was the last capital of the ancient kings of Sri Lanka before becoming a British colony in 1815. The city still retains much of the Sinhalese tradition, and was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1988. Travellers looking for a place to rest can visit Slightly Chilled Lounge Bar for the “excellent view of Kandy lake and the surrounding city.”
- Yerevan, Armenia – 50 Hotels, 279 Restaurants, 73 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$163.58) Yerevan has been the capital of Armenia since 1918. The city is immensely rich in history, having been under Arab, Ottoman, Persian and Soviet rule in the past. TripAdvisor reviewers recommend a visit to The Museum of Ancient Manuscripts for “excellent display of many Armenian documents going back over a thousand years.” For a taste of Armenian cuisine with a French twist, travellers should not miss The Club Yerevan.
- Rishikesh, India – 40 Hotels, 68 Restaurants, 66 Attractions (Average nightly hotel rate: S$77.42) Rishikesh, located at the base of the Himalayas, is also famously known as the World Capital of Yoga, drawing visitors from all around the world including The Beatles in the 1960s. The Beatles Ashram is the exact site that the Beatles visited almost 50 years ago which TripAdvisor reviewers describe as having “a great and powerful energy”. For an eatery with a similar relaxing ambience, travellers can visit Bistro Nirvana for a meal.
For the complete list of Destinations on the Rise award winners, as well as reviews and candid traveller photos, go to: http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/TravellersChoice-DestinationsontheRise.
TripAdvisor™ is the world’s largest travel site*, enabling travellers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers trusted advice from real travellers and a wide variety of travel choices and planning features with seamless links to booking tools. TripAdvisor branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, reaching 315 million unique monthly visitors**, and more than 190 million reviews and opinions covering more than 4.4 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions. The sites operate in 45 countries worldwide, including China under daodao.com. TripAdvisor also includes TripAdvisor for Business, a dedicated division that provides the tourism industry access to millions of monthly TripAdvisor visitors.
TripAdvisor, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRIP) manages and operates websites under 24 other travel media brands:www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.everytrail.com,www.familyvacationcritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.gateguru.com, www.holidaylettings.co.uk,www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.jetsetter.com, www.lafourchette.com,www.niumba.com, www.onetime.com, www.oyster.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com,www.tingo.com, www.travelpod.com, www.tripbod.com, www.vacationhomerentals.com, www.viator.com,www.virtualtourist.com, and www.kuxun.cn.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide, August 2014
**Source: Google Analytics, average monthly unique users, Q3 2014; does not include traffic to daodao.com